Monday, November 26, 2012

thanksgiving 2012

Well, I know the updates here are few and far between. Life is just busy right now!

Weeks and weeks ago, we were looking at Rob's schedule. I was excited to see he had Black Friday off, as we love shopping Black Friday. I was less excited to see he was working Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is Rob's "favorite" holiday, in other words he once said it was his favorite and now it's official and done. Anyway, we discussed what to do. Should we have Thanksgiving dinner later when he comes home that evening? Should we wait until he had the weekend off? At this point he told me he didn't really care, and to do what I wanted. And by the way, he didn't have Friday off and that was a typo.

So Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving is what I had to work with. And I decided I wanted a turkey. But of course, I decided this the day before Thanksgiving and I felt absolutely crazed buying Thanksgiving food at the last minute. I saw people get into a fight over the last two bags of collard greens. I couldn't find a turkey to save my life and had to go to three stores before I found one. I ran out of butter 3 times.

It was an adventure.

Imagine my surprise when I get a phone call from Rob on Thanksgiving. He tells me to go to the door to pick up something that someone had left for him, and what do you know, it's my husband standing there with a goofy smile. Home. On Thanksgiving....with no Thanksgiving food prepared because, didn't we already decide we were having Thanksgiving Saturday  Regardless, it was great to have him home and you know I squealed with delight at having that husband of mine home early on a weekday/ favorite holiday.

It was a Thanksgiving miracle.

Our Thanksgiving on Saturday went so well. We had declicious pie and turkey and potatoes and it was just awesome and great. And of course we all took epic naps afterwards. We capped off the night by watching "A Christmas Story". After being a bit shell-shocked with holidays (last year Rob was gone for everything and I never knew if he would be home or still out of the state on rotations or stuck in the snow or whatever. I basically skipped most of the holidays because I felt guilty holidaying around without him...) I am making up for it this year. Halloween is PUT AWAY this year, as opposed to last year when it got put away in January. Christmas is up, and we are excited!

0 comments: